Black and White

If you know me at all on any level... I live in a world of black and white. Right and wrong. I am a firm believer that rules, systems, and regulations are always there for a reason. They were set up to make someone else's life easier or work better. Or better yet... They were set up to protect us or to help us get along in life.

When someone breaks these rules - it really bothers me. Like... REALLY bothers me. If I have to stop at the stop sign and wait my turn, then you need to as well. If I have to follow the rules to not get in trouble, then you do as well.

It's something that I live with and deal with every day. It's been brought to my attention more and more - but it's through my understanding of this that God is teaching me about grace.

Grace is extended to those who don't deserve it.

I think it's interesting that the definition of Grace means "a disposition to kindness and compassion" but also it means, "elegance and beauty of movement or expression." What a pairing... How beautiful and elegant it is to live a life of kindness and compassion. To empathize with others and to try and meet them where they are and try to understand how and why they do things.

This doesn't mean that every rule can be broken, but it does mean that when people sometimes don't live up to my black and white expectations, I am able to offer them grace (even if they don't know that I'm doing it).

What could be more beautiful than that?

Comments

Post a Comment