Lullaby (again...)

So, this is definitely a celebration post!  Hurray!  It's about time for a more upbeat mood in the Nally house.

I went to my doctor last Wednesday, and honestly - it was just talking to someone and having someone tell me what I was doing for my child obviously wasn't working.  I mean, I KNEW we should start getting on a more specific schedule, but I was kind of waiting for it to naturally happen.  It definitely helps that she has a little boy that is just slightly younger than Sarah developmentally - so we're in the exact same boat with baby ages and such.  She and I worked through what was wrong with Sarah and what we could do to fix her schedule so she could be a happier baby... Honestly... probably a conversation my pediatrician should have had with me instead of my OB.  No matter, her getting a little stern with me and telling me that it was crazy how long I was letting her stay up - did the trick.

We entered into what I like to call "nap time bootcamp" on November 1, the day after my appointment.  Almost immediately Sarah went from having to nap in our arms to being willing to lay down for naps in her crib.  We have written out a schedule of very specific times and have stuck to it religiously.  It has done wonders for both of us.  Sarah is a happier, more well adjusted baby - and I'm a lot more sane and actually feel like I can fully concentrate on things one at a time.  While I was working and holding and playing... it all seemed like it had to happen at the exact same time - all in PJs and no shower, because... when your baby wants to be held 24/7, who has time to shower?

Thankfully, I can now fully concentrate on things one at a time.  When she's awake, it's Sarah play time.  When she's asleep it's momma's work time (work or housework or self-care, depending).  It's been much easier for Jim to care for her on the Saturdays that I'm not there because we don't have the screaming tantrums anymore that used to drive both of us crazy.

While it's not perfect... I must say, the few 10 minute crying bouts that happen occasionally are far easier to deal with than the constant fussiness.  She has also started sleeping through the night more and more consistently.  Honestly, I can't really remember the last time she got up in the middle of the night.  I think it's been since early last week.  She goes to bed at 7:30 and doesn't get up until 6am!  We can watch a movie, play a game, clean up dinner, eat in peace... have a little mom and dad time before we crash at.... 9.

I think the hardest part of it all is that her first daily feeding right now happens at 6am.  And honestly... 6am just comes SO early, even though I'm sleeping through the night.  This morning, I will admit that she and I slept in until 7.  I rolled over and realized how late it was!  But she was still sleeping so I didn't feel so bad.  Though, our schedule has been slightly off today, I'm almost back on schedule and it's just now lunchtime.

I've even been able to bring her to work and devote more time in the office on Thursdays.  Today, we're trying out going through 2 full naps here in the office in the pack-n-play.  The first one seems to be successful so far!  When she wakes up, I have a little play mat here for her to play on and help entertain herself while I continue being productive.  This will bring my actual "in office" time to almost 3 full days a week which definitely helps me to keep my life a little more compartmentalized and be able to be fully wherever I am.

Well... my break is over and I should get to work now that I know she is indeed asleep in there!

11/8/12: Sleeping at momma's office!


Comments