Say Goodbye

It's been about a week since we said goodbye to my final surviving Great Grandmother.  It was a bittersweet weekend at home with the entire family gathered.  I don't remember the last time we were able to have virtually everyone there.  Unfortunately there were a few spouses and kids unable to make the trip, but everyone we grew up with around the Christmas tree was there.  It was good.

We spent 5-6 hours on Friday in the funeral home reminiscing, looking at pictures, laughing, sharing stories... Sarah (who unfortunately missed a nap that day) decided to run up and down the hall of the funeral home singing "Let it Go!" at the top of her lungs...  I, as her mother, cringed a little at the boisterousness and irony.  However, it did bring many smiles and laughter.

I am so overwhelmed by how blessed and how truly special it is that I have spent 28 years of my life having Great Grandparents around.  I have fond memories of 4 of them, and was especially close with the last two who passed.  It's part of our decision to want children at a young age.  I hope and pray every day that my grandparents will stay healthy and around for at least another 20 years so that Sarah and any future children can learn their stories and have fond memories as I have.  (If you're one of my grandparents reading this - take care of yourselves!  We want you around for a long, long time!)

As for Great Grandma Becht, my biggest regret is that I hadn't seen her since Christmas.  In some ways, I am sure it was a blessing. She was still mostly herself, albeit very quiet.  When we left there I had a deep sense in my soul that it might be the last time I saw her.  My intuition turned out to be right.  The thing that broke my heart the most that night was seeing the tears fill her eyes as we said goodbye.  I honestly think she had the same feeling I did.  She missed the family.  She missed being home.  She missed the holidays with a room full of family.

While I tear up every time I think back to the last time I saw her tear filled eyes, I have to smile a little knowing that she is truly at home now.  She's been reunited with the love of her life that she spent 70 years with.  I know that she's reunited with friends and other family members that had long since passed.  She's watching over my angel baby, Isaiah, and telling him stories about me as a child.  Most importantly she's with Jesus and has a new body with no more pain.

We love you, Grandma.

December 20, 2013 - our last visit with Great Grandma Becht


So say goodbye 'cause you'll be leaving soon

I know it's hard and I'll be missing you
I know it's time to say goodbye



Comments