Strong Enough

Last night was excellent.  We tried our hand at nursing again, and Sarah ate HALF her dinner all by herself.  16mls was eaten, and she took 17mls through her tube.  I was very impressed!  She was awake, responsive, and actively nursing for 30 minutes.  They only stopped her because they didn't want her to wear herself out too much and also didn't want to get her off her feeding schedule too badly.  Yay for small (or big, depending on perspective) victories!

Today, we've had a decent day.  Church this morning was great as always.  I'm really enjoying starting to get to know more people and feeling even more part of the family.

Our feeding session this afternoon was a little rough, though.  She fought me the entire way.  She was obviously frustrated - I'm not sure if it was that she didn't understand what I wanted her to do, or if she just wasn't hungry yet.  I also think she might have been uncomfortable.  Her little body felt warm and a little sweaty under her onesie, and I was quite warm as well, so being held close to another warm body might have been too much for her.  Either way, half the feeding session was her getting latched on and then just wiggling and falling off and crying and not being happy about anything.  I finally pulled her away from me and gave her a paci to calm down.  Between the cooling off and paci, she calmed right down and was sucking strongly on that.  So I did a switcheroo and she did start eating at that point.  However, we only had a few minutes left at that point and so she only got a couple mls worth.

I'm really hoping that our feeding tonight goes well.  She's up to 3lbs 15oz today, so tomorrow might be the day we reach 4lbs!

Jim and I are really starting to get frustrated and drained from our daily hospital visits.  It's been over a month of this back and forth rhythm.  We are praying it's not much longer.  Everything is ready and waiting for her to come home!  Luckily we have wonderful, empathetic nurses (mostly) that help make this process bearable and breathable.  They always seem to know when we're having a good or a bad day and let us know that we're not crazy and that everything we're feeling is normal.  Thank GOODNESS!

I took some of the pictures over the past few weeks to show off just how much she's changed.  I hope you enjoy them.

Roughly a picture from each of her first four weeks of life, shown left to right.  She's grown so much!


6-30-12: First day in clothes!


7-1-12: Bright eyed and excited about having clean britches!


I know I'm not strong enough to beEverything that I'm supposed to beI give upI'm not strong enoughHands of mercy won't you cover meLord right now I'm asking you to beStrong enough, strong enoughFor both of us



Comments