Sweet Sweet Baby

I've always heard that having a child of your own quickly starts teaching you about the love that God has for us.  I would agree with that, and I would say that it on gets more distinct as you continue - and she's only been home a week!  When she's been crying uncontrollably, I find myself saying "I'm right here."  "I know you hurt." "I have your food right here."  "Stop crying, Momma's here."  "I know what you need."  "I need you to calm down, please."  How often is it that God is saying those exact same things to us, as we're screaming and crying and not REALLY listening?  There's a lot to chew on there, and I'm sure that will be another entry for another day.

Earlier this week, we had one completely sleepless night.  She was crying out in pain from gas.  She was belching and tooting like you wouldn't believe and would cry out in pain right before doing so.  We've had nights like that most every night since, with only a couple nights of "normalcy".  We are praying for patience and that the sleep we do get will be restorative.

This past Thursday morning, after one of our worst nights of pain and being up all night, we made our way to the eye doctor.  We had to be up there at 7:30 at Centennial.  Talk about an early morning for a family with no sleep!  I really wanted Jim to go with me, as I wasn't sure how emotional I would be.  Sarah took the check-up like a champ.  She pretty much stayed asleep during both sets of dilating drops.  When it came to the actual exam, it was the doctor and two aides that came in.  The girls helped take notes and open her eyes up.  The actual exam probably took less than 60 seconds all together.  They were only looking at the blood vessels that grow from the back to the front of the eye to make sure they're developing properly.  He said she looked absolutely great!  She needs no follow up visits at all.  Now, she could still be near or far sighted, but we won't know that until she's older, like any other child.  We are so thankful that nothing is seriously wrong with her vision.

Tomorrow we head back to the pediatrician for another weight check-in.  I am now armed with a few more questions, as I really didn't know what to ask at our last visit.  Now that we've had over a week with her to get to know her quirks and specific things that I want his input on.  I'll have to update you on how she's doing!  I'm thinking she might even be over 5lbs now.  She's feeling quite heavy these days.  Since she was 4lbs 10oz last week and she's supposed to gain about an ounce a day, that is completely doable!

7-22-12: Making silly faces!

Comments

  1. Have you tried the colic carry? If you google that and do images I'm sure it will come up. You kind of lay them on their tummy in your arm with their head supported in the crook of your elbow. The body lays against your arm and the legs drape over either side of your arm. My son had bad gas and the colic carry always seems to help put pressure on the tummy to help get it out and would sooth him. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment