I Need Thee Every Hour

On May 30, 2012 I woke up in a hospital room filled with family.  I don't really remember much as I was still coming out of the anesthesia they had me under for the surgery.  It was filled with hugs, questions, making sure I was ok.  Jim was able to go back and see Sarah around 2:30 am that morning.  She was breathing on her own which was more than they had expected.  She only had a little oxygen tube in her nose to help make sure her levels stayed high.

I don't have very many memories of this day at all.  My hospital stay is broken up in my mind based on which nurse I had and when.  They were all fabulous and were just what I needed when.  Even in the nursing staff, I thank God for his provision of timing and care.

My first nurse was a quiet, calm older lady.  She took incredibly great care of me and never pushed me past my limits.  You could hear the concern in her voice and I was so thankful for her.  She later stopped by to check on me the night before I left.

At 7 am, I received my second nurse.  She was much more firm and demanding.  Not in a bad way... Just making sure I didn't get lazy and not recover fast enough!  My doctor wouldn't let me go see Sarah at all on Wednesday because I needed to get my liver back under control before I moved too much.  My nurse was helpful in finding ways that I could push myself while still being careful to not harm my liver.  She also checked in on me later in the week and was excited to see my progress.  She was probably the most strict of all the nurses, but I do think she might be my favorite one.  :)

All day, I got to see pictures and hear stories of how Sarah was doing. It was literally killing me that they wouldn't let me go see her.  The emptiness that I felt after my ectopic surgery in March 2011 was rushing back to me all that day.  The grief, the shock, the emptiness...  One minute I was fine, the next I no longer was carrying my child and I wasn't able to see or touch her to make sure she was ok.

They finally told me that the medicine I was on for my liver would finish around 1am on May 31.  If I was feeling up to it, that is when I could start going to see her.  It was the middle of the night but I was so determined to get up and see her.  It was that night that I learned they wouldn't bring my my medicine with out my requesting it.  Ouch!  Due to my incredibly high pain level, and sheer exhaustion, I opted to wait until morning to go see her.


Comments