I'll Love you Til the End

Yesterday was a good day.  It wasn't a great day, but it was a good day.  With having the ventilator removed, Sarah has found her lungs and her vocal chords and has figured out how to cry.  If you think seeing a regular baby cry is tough... Wait until you see a 2lb baby in a plastic box cry.  You can't pick them up, you can't comfort them in any way really. No amount of patting, or touching or talking could calm my little one down.  It truly broke my heart.

We did get the OK to finally hold her yesterday!  We're only allowed to hold her once a day right now and for about 30-45 minutes maximum.  She was crying until they laid her on my chest and immediately she calmed down.  We sat and rocked and sang and talked for just over 30 minutes until it was time to go and time to eat.  She started crying right away once they took her from me.  I absolutely hate that we can't hold her more.  Today Jim will get a turn holding her.  I can't wait for that moment.

Other than being inconsolable, she's doing well.  All her levels look good and she's continuing to do well on her milk feedings.  We're up to about 5 ml of milk at each feeding.  I'm anxious for her to start being able to eat it on her own and get the feeding tube out of her throat.

They're talking about transferring her back to Williamson Medical possibly early next week, which is just a short 10 minute drive from home instead of the 30-45 minute drive we're making now.  I'm quite torn on whether to move her back or not for lots of reasons.  But I suppose we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

We had another meal brought to us last night by one of the gals at our church, and it was TASTY!  We have been so blessed with folks stepping up and helping us through this difficult time.  Food, cooking, and cleaning just really aren't high on our list of thoughts right now.

Tonight my mom and sister come, and I'm so excited about that!  Ashton has yet to meet little Sarah and I'm anxious for them to interact.  Jim goes back to work tomorrow as well.  The next few days will be a little tricky as we find a new rhythm for life again.


Comments